Classroom Experience

Through the College of Education (COE) at Butler University, I’ve been given lots of opportunity in the classroom at various schools as well as visiting other sites around the Indianapolis area that can build my background knowledge or can serve as potential field trips for future students.

In my Intro to Education class (ED 112), we were able to visit a variety of schools for an hour to observe different types of institutions:
Herron High School (public charter)
Westlane Middle School (public)
Sycamore Elementary School (private)
Butler Labaratory School (public magnet)

In my Core 2 block class (ED 241,242, 244) we took a much deeper look at the Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired

In my Integration of the Arts class (ED 204) we were able to visit a completely Integrated Arts Elementary School, Wallace Elementary

In my Intro to Elementary Education class (ED 206) we spent the course of the semester visiting IPS 91 and were given individual children to work with, teaching them about a country and then performing a dance to family and friends.

I’ve spent time shadowing Marty Legge, a kindergarten teacher at Woodcrest Elementary School in Midland Michigan.

164

My students from IPS 91 holding their South African flags.

In my Block A: Early Childhood Education class, I spent one day a week for the entire semester in Ms.Slagel’s classroom at the Butler Lab School. I had my own focal child and some research on literacy came from that experience, which can be found here.

In my Block B: Middle Childhood Education class, we have had a variety of experiences working with children and in environments suitable for educating children.

• For 5 weeks, I worked with a third grade student on mathematical problem solving relating to elapsed time problems at Central Elementary School in Pike Township.
  • For 4 weeks, I worked with a group of third graders at an after school program at Central Elementary. We studied water pollution.
  • For 9 weeks, I worked with a group of fourth graders at Central Elementary. We studied Main Ideas in Nonfiction through the exploration of Inventions.
  • I visited the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis for several weeks during my time in Block B. We studied various exhibits and even worked with students from the Butler Lab school studying the salinity of water.
  • I visited Sycamore Elementary school for their annual “Science Night” and explored the idea of Non-Newtonian fluids with scientists of various ages.
  • I visited the Benjamin Harrison House in Indianapolis and was able to tour the house and learn about the things he did before and during his presidency, including a focus on Ellis Island!
  • I visited the Indiana State Museum, exploring the various exhibits through the eyes of a teacher.
  • I visited the Indiana Historical Society and was able to experience some photographs that were “brought to life”.