- Go to the course that contains your existing course materials.
- On the Control Panel, under Packages and Utilities, click Course Copy.
- Select “Copy Course Materials into an Existing Course” (should already be selected)
- In the Destination Course ID field, browse and select the Course that you want populated with content from the original Course.
- Select Course Materials – add checks next to each item you want copied. Many prefer to check all the options in this area.
Note: A Course Copy operation cannot be completed if the user does not select at least one of the following areas: Content, Information, or Settings. If none of these options is selected, then a warning will appear.
- You do not need to do anything under Course Files or Enrollments.
- Click Submit.
- WAIT – You should receive a confirmation email letting you know that your course copy was successful. Courses with larger files can anticipate longer processing times (just like downloading larger files takes a little longer).
- Copying Course Materials into an Existing Course will add content to a Course, but it will not remove existing content. A user can only copy materials into a Course where the user has a role of Instructor, Teaching Assistant, or Course Builder.
- While copying, the Course Availability of the source course will be applied to the destination course. If the destination course’s availability is set to unavailable, but the original course is available, the destination course’s availability will be changed.
- Be sure you don’t have any hidden columns in your Grade Center before you copy your course. Check for hidden columns by looking in the Grade Center and choosing Manage > Column Organization. Be sure all columns are set to ‘show’ before doing a course copy or you risk corrupting the new Grade Center.
- If you receive the email alert and it appears that not all content has copied successfully, don’t attempt to re-copy! Occasionally the email alert has been sent too early.
- If your destination course now has duplicate buttons in the main menu, delete the empty buttons. The buttons that have content contain the copied material.
- Links to parts of a Course that are not included in the copy will break when the links appear in the destination Course. For example, if there is a link to a Test in a Course area and Assessments are not copied, the link to the test will break.
- Content from Course Menu content areas that have the same name in each course will be added in the same content area. Nothing will be removed from the destination course and replaced with content from the source course.
Behavior of Copied Materials
- Content: Course materials, including uploaded files, Learning Modules, and links are copied. Course Information, Course documents, Assignments and URLs are optional.
- Announcements: All Announcements are copied.
- Tests, Surveys, and Pools: All Assessments and Surveys, including questions and options for deploying them are copied. All Pools are copied.
- Calendar: All Calendar items are copied to the new Course.
- Discussion Board: Discussion Board Forums, including the initial message in the forum, are copied.
- Grade Center Items and Settings: Items in the Grade Center, and their settings, such as type, categories, and display options, are copied.
- Group Settings: Settings include the names of the Groups, the settings for tool availability, and the Discussion Board Forum names.
- Contacts: All Contacts are copied.
- Course Settings: When you select Settings, the following settings are copied:
- Course Name
- Course Description
- Course Entry Point
- Course Design
- Course Banner
- Blackboard Tools
- Building Block Tools
- Content Tools
- Course ID
- Course Availability
- Guest Access
- Observer Access
- Course Duration
- Enrollment Options