12 COE Students earn spot on the 2018-19 Butler Top 100 Students List

COE is proud to recognize the 12 students who earned a spot on this year’s Butler Top 100 Students List.  We asked our Top 100 students “Why did they choose Butler University and/or COE; what is their favorite academic experience in COE, and what does being a Butler Top 100 Student mean to them?”  In their own words:

Lauren Boswell

• I chose the Butler University College of Education because I knew that it would help me become the most well-rounded educator I could possibly be. From the genuine and supportive faculty, to the countless opportunities for fieldwork experiences,  I knew this was a place I would thrive in.
  • Studying children’s literature in England and Scotland was my favorite experience that I have had through the College of Education. I had the opportunity to visit Cambridge, Oxford, and so many other historical sites in the UK where countless authors I have studied developed their inspiration for their writing.
  • Being named a Butler Top 100 Students has made me so unbelievably grateful for the opportunity I have had to attend this university. I am proud to call Butler my home and call the people I have met here my family.

Megan Fitzgerald

• I chose Butler because I knew that this was a place I would be pushed to grow into the best educator I could be alongside professors who would support me from my first day on campus, through college, and into my post-graduate career.
  • My favorite experience in the COE was student teaching in New York City!
  • This award speaks to all the wonderful possibilities that Butler has to offer and how impactful a Butler education can be if you choose to tap into the wealth of experiences on campus and in the city.

Kylie Mason

• I chose Butler University because of its reputable College of Education. While my older sister started the family tradition of being a Butler Bulldog, I made this decision for myself! The College of Education’s 100% placement rate was extremely attractive to me, as well as the small class sizes.
  • My favorite academic experience at Butler would have to be my freshman year, with Dr. Arthur Hochman. I was adjusting to college life, being away from my family and a rigorous academic schedule. I felt comfortable confiding in him about my struggles & he ensured me that I was doing well academically and socially. That conversation with him and his presence throughout the course of the semester made me feel like Butler was home.
  • Being Butler Top 100 Student is such an honor. As a senior, I have yet to meet a student at Butler that isn’t extremely passionate about what they’re pursuing, and dedicated to their school work/extra curricular activities. Because everyone here is so hardworking & determined I feel blessed to be recognized amongst all of them.

MacKenzie Orbaugh

• I chose Butler because from the start I was met by professors who were authentic, genuine and who actually cared to get to know me. I saw an outpour of passion for kids and innovation. I knew that I would be surrounded and taught by the type of educators I dreamed of being. 
  • I have loved every academic experience from visiting a variety of schools to traveling to Italy, to doing science experiments in Block B with Dr. Pangan. They all shaped and molded what I have brought into student teaching- which is one incredible experience in and of itself. 
  • This is more of an honor than I can even put into words. I know firsthand that my peers are something incredible. I am surrounded by the hardest working, most driven, and passionate people I know and to even be acknowledged alongside with them is one of my greatest accomplishments. 

Bailey Osler

• I chose Butler University’s COE because of hearing about it’s well renowned education program, that has close connections with schools around the community, from both students and future employers at a Butler Bound event. I could see the close relationships the professors in the college of education had  with their students, and how they genuinely cared about their student’s success from my first visit to the College of Education.
  • My favorite academic experience in COE is how early and frequently we were and continue to be able to experience being in the classroom. Throughout my first semester at Butler, I had the opportunity to be in a variety of classrooms over 10 different times. This is just one of the many opportunities Butler has provided me to grow as a future educator and be prepared when it comes time for me to explore job opportunities.
  • Being a Top 100 Student is such an honor. My educational journey wouldn’t be possible without all of my professors, peers, and family members support, so I feel as though I am representing them in this recognition, as well.

Adilyn Smith

• I chose Butler University because of the unique experiences you get in your undergraduate career. Over my years at Butler, we have been constantly out in the field interacting with people, building relationships and drawing our own conclusions about education.
  • My favorite academic experience at Butler was getting to participate in Block A. We learned so much information while simultaneously getting to interact with students and teachers in a real school setting.
  • Being a Butler Top 100 Student means to me that Butler alumni, staff and peers see education as an important and critical part of our society.  I am honored to receive this award with so many of my peers who have taught me so much throughout my years here.

Madison Stefanski

• From the moment I stepped on campus I felt a sense of community, reassurance, and professionalism. The Butler Lab School really impressed me, but the professors in the College of Education sealed the deal.
  • My favorite experience that the COE is granted me is my ability to student teach in the most amazing settings. First semester, I taught and lived in New York City. This semester I spend every day with strongest students you’ll ever meet at Riley Children’s Hospital. Without the COE at Butler, I would have never had these opportunities.
  • To me, it’s humbling to know that a professional I look up to noticed my passion and hard work and nominated me for the application process. It’s a personal reminder that the faculty is always rooting for you. It’s the pat on the back that makes me set the bar higher for myself during my time at Butler.

Elaine Warner

• While I was in high school, my older brother raved about his experience at Butler. He loved the close-knit community and big-school spirit. Now that I am a student myself, Butler has proven to be the perfect fit.
  • Aside from the amazing Butler professors and the personal growth I have experienced while being a part of the COE, my favorite part is the friendships that have been created. Because of the Butler COE, I am surrounded by so many passionate, supportive educators that I now call my friends.
  • Being named a Butler Top 100 student is surreal. What an honor it is to see my name alongside so many passionate future educators, pharmacists, engineers, doctors, speech pathologists, businessmen and women, and so many more.

Kiersten White

• I chose Butler and the College of Education because I wanted to find a place that was going to push me to grow and experience new things while still giving me a home to run back to every day.
  • My very first day of student teaching as a second semester senior, I had the chance to connect with a student in my first period class and encourage her to share something with the class when she didn’t think she could. Seeing how taking five minutes to show a student that you genuinely care about them can completely change their perspective was something I’ll never forget.
  •  To me, being a Top 100 Student really just means that I can show how excited and committed I am to making even a small impact on the world in education. These past years at Butler have asked me to push myself and give everything I have to my work as a future teacher, and being recognized for that is beyond amazing.