Doodle at Dinner Spring 2012

Posted on 23. Apr, 2012 by in Campus Events

YouTube Preview Image
I was excited to be able to relieve some stress at “Doodle at Dinner” in the Atherton Marketplace. This program was part of “Stress Less Week” – a week-long series of events coordinated by Peers Advocating Wellness for Students (PAWS) and several other campus groups to help connect students with opportunities to reduce or manage stress. What a great idea to bring me back to my childhood! I remember when I was young, going to a restaurant and not caring at all about the “adult conversation” and going into my own world in my art. It was also great that “Stress Less Week” is held the week before Finals. As you can tell from the video, many of my fellow Bulldogs are quite artistic. We saw everything from mythical creatures to beautiful landscapes.

I was able to interview some of the people that helped out with “Stress Less Week” and learned that 691 students participated in “Stress Less Week” activities in the fall and 540 participated in the spring when we recorded our “Doodle at Dinner” video. I know many students get stressed more than one week of the year. Luckily, the same groups that plan “Stress Less Week” events teach a lot of techniques that can be utilized whenever. I know stress exists for all of us, and learning to manage it is an important skill to develop in college. What works for one person might not work for another, so I think it is awesome that there are a variety of events offered to help everyone.

After hanging out with my fellow Dawg’s and hearing their–let’s say interesting descriptions of their drawings–I have to say that it was a success. Students came stressed and left visibly relieved while enjoying their mini-fridge art. I guess for my next round of testing I’ll bust out the crayons and create a masterpiece before hitting the books!

Learn more about Doodle at Dinner, PAWS, and other peer education initiatives at http://www.butler.edu/health-education/peer-education/about-paws/

About Steve

Hello, I am Stevan Tomich and currently a Senior at Butler University pursuing a major in Pharmacy and Business. I am the Vice President of Programming at Butler so whenever fun and exciting occurs I tend to be there and I will be sharing the events with you! If you ever want to request a video or want more information feel free to email me at stomich@butler.edu.