You Might Be Wearing Green… But Are You EATING It?

WP_20130316_070

Happy St. Patrick’s Day, everyone!  Usually this holiday is associated with wearing green and celebrating with our friends,  but what about what we eat?  I’m personally not a cornbeef and cabbage person, so I chose another way to indulge in my greens.  So, this morning, I made an AHH-mazing green smoothie.  I love smoothies, but to be honest, I was always weary of the green-colored ones.  However, I decided to just give it a try.  Yum!

I got this recipe from My Nyguyen, founder of myhealthydish.com.  This is a site stocked full of amazing colorful dishes (using mostly fruits and vegetables).  Her Instagram is pretty cool too!  Check her out at myhealthdish.

I adapted this recipe a little bit according to what I had at the time, but I’ve learned that smoothie making is really all about trial and error.  There’s no “perfect” way… just adding and mixing around.  So, chop, blend and enjoy!

If you scroll down on her page, you will see there is a “Beginner’s Green Smoothie” listed, and I tried the first smoothie making my own substitutions.  Here is my adaptation:

St. Patty’s Day Green Smoothie

Ingredients:

2 cups spinach

1 small banana

5 strawberries

2 tablespoons vanilla light yogurt

1-1/2 cups light almond milk

6-7 ice cubes

Place all of the ingredients in a blender, beginning with the ice cubes and layering with the rest of the ingredients.  Blend for about a minute to 90 seconds, or until you can no longer see bits of spinach.  Pour into a tall glass and enjoy!

Have a Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Permanent link to this article: http://blogs.butler.edu/hrcblog/2014/03/17/wearing-green-eating/