Greentree Assisted Living 3/23/13

On March 23, 2013 I volunteered at Greentree Assisted Living from 1:30-4:30 (3 hours) for their Easter Event.

Upon looking at the email stating what we might be doing I really didn’t know what to expect to be doing or seeing during my time there. I, along with two fellow Butler students: Kendra and Alex, were placed with Lora who worked at the center. That day seemed to be extra special for the residents and family members. We were in charge of face painting residents in the dementia unit to look like Easter bunnies. I think its safe to say I wasn’t expected to be assigned to the face painting and I think the other two fellow BU students agreed.

The first person I had to face paint was actually a worker from Greentree. Being my first customer, I made sure to go all out with face painting in the best way that I could. I surprised myself with how I was able to do and even got a few compliments. Next Alex and Kendra practiced on each other and Kendra even practiced on myself. I think she did a great job–but let’s just say I looked like a pretty crazy bunny out of Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland. The paint took near up to 20-30 minutes at the end of the day to get all the way off in my dorm but it was well worth it.

After practicing on each other, we finally were able to paint a few of the residents. It was difficult trying to make sense out of what some of the residents were trying to say but was enjoyable nonetheless. After I painted some residents I was able to paint some kids. Most of the kids it seemed like they were family members of staff but nonetheless it was very enjoyable and the kids were a tad more appreciative and into the whole face painting activity rather than the adults. Some of the adults were just more chatty and they wanted somebody to talk to and didn’t really care that there was an Easter Event. It was fun to talk to the residents but some of them were hard to talk to and communicate with so it was definitely a learning experience for me as well.

I have to say I was surprised with how fast the time went. It was an enjoyable day and I can say I didn’t expect to be painted as an Easter Bunny when I walked in that morning. I am glad that I was able to make some kids and residents smile in the process as well.

This entry was posted in Projects. Bookmark the permalink.