Wheeler Elementary School Carnival

4/26/13

5pm-8pm (3 hours)

Wheeler Elementary School Carnival

This volunteer opportunity was very exciting for me as my previous opportunities were mainly behind the scene, nitty-gritty work. This involved face to face interaction with kids who were out the carnival and I loved every minute of it. I was put in charge of an inflatable activity that involved taking tickets, checking to make sure the environment was safe and that only two kids were racing and on the apparatus at a time. Since the inflatable was an obstacle course and involved two people racing against each other I had the struggle to make sure that each willing participant had a partner to race against if desired. I also gave orders for the children to take off shoes, glasses, or any decorative headwear during the activity. I may be a tad biased, but I am pretty sure that the inflatable was super popular and all the kids really enjoyed that activity.

My favorite memories from this event was just seeing so many smiling, positive, and enthusiastic faces ready to go and have fun at the carnival. All the kids were appreciate when I held their stuff and many went on the ride multiple times. One pair of sisters that went on the ride really stood out for me. A girl and her very young, less than two year-old sister went on the inflatable at least two times. Each time because of the very young sister it took quite a while for them to complete the ride but the sister was willing to take her time and help her struggling sister make it through and complete the obstacle course. Each time I thought they were precious and I loved the fact that the older sister was so willing to help the much younger sisters, and I loved how the younger sister was so enthused and willing to go on the ride.

I really enjoyed this volunteer work. Even though I had to set up before and help clean up some afterwards, it was the smiling kids and their enthusiasm that made it all worth it.

This entry was posted in Projects. Bookmark the permalink.