Wendy Vencel ’18

This interview with Wendy Vencel was conducted November 2021

Describe your current work? Have you completed any post-graduate training or education? 

After Butler, I earned my Masters from the University of Edinburgh in Medieval History, focusing on genders in early medieval Scotland. Currently, I teach courses through Ivy Tech Bloomington’s Center for Lifelong Learning. Over the summer I taught Greek Myth & Art for their “College For Kids” program and now I am teaching Exploring Epics: Beowulf for adults. I am also currently applying to PhD programs in Public History where I will focus on the use of material culture in the study and presentation of history. 

What did you learn through your major that you find useful today? 

There is one major skill that I learned from my double major in history and classics that I have consistently used since graduating: being able to hold small group discussions. It is easy to blurt something out in class or crank out a paper, but it takes time to develop discussion skills and be able to express your thoughts and engage with the thoughts of others. I not only was this useful during my master’s program, where every course was discussion based, but also in the professional world when having to work collaboratively and efficiently with colleagues. 

Describe a transformative experience you had at Butler? 

I would have to say that Dr. Scarlett’s Historiography course was a transformative experience. I was really shy and soft spoken my first two years at Butler, but Historiography really forced me out of my comfort zone and got me to engage with history on a whole new level than before. I think if it wasn’t for that course, I wouldn’t have decided to pursue a master’s and not a PhD. 

Is there anything you wish you would have done differently? 

I wish that I had made more of an effort my first two years at Butler to connect with other students in my departments. Once my cohort finally started to do things together, the last two years flew by! It was a big help when studying or going through finals because we were, mostly, all in the same classes together. It also helped so much more to have people to bounce project ideas off of! 

What advice would you give to current students?

1) Make use of department resources and alumni/ae connections! If there is a conference outside of Indy or a study abroad opportunity you want to take, see about applying for some funding. 2) Go to department events (even if they aren’t BCRs!)! Not only will you definitely learn something, you might find a new interest that isn’t covered in your classes. They are also great opportunities to chat with professors and network, and you never know when those connections might come in handy! 

Is there a question you wish I would have asked? What is it and how would you answer it?

I wish I had asked more about student life at Butler and the transition from a high school mindset to a college one. I definitely think that that is partly why I struggled my first two years. So ALWAYS ask the schools/departments that you are applying to to put you in touch with current students, and don’t be scared to ask them those sorts of questions because the sooner you figure out how to best do college for you the better.