Pre-Welcome Week Programs Preview

Connect with Campus Early

Why wait until Welcome Week to meet fellow bulldogs? You can serve within the community, hone your leadership skills, prepare for college life, learn what goes into planning a major sporting event, or have a wilderness adventure. Regardless of which you choose, start connecting with other Butler students early! Applications and registrations processes for the programs below will open at 10 am EST Friday, June 1, 2018. Please note that Becoming #BulldogsAbroad has a different application timeline.

For questions and concerns, please contact the office of Programs for Leadership and Service Education at (317) 940-9262 during office hours of 9AM-5PM EST, or at orientation@butler.edu.

Please note, new students who will be living on campus for the 2018 – 2019 academic year will move into their university assigned residence hall room on the first day of their pre-Welcome Week program.

For more details including dates and costs for each program, please click on the drop down bars below.

2018 Program Dates: August 13-18

Ambassadors of Change (AOC) is a week-long program that focuses on service and leadership. Participants will engage in daily service projects, discuss social issues with classmates and community members, and work on small group projects. Fun evening activities round out each day, providing plenty of opportunities to get to know classmates and the city of Indianapolis! Learn more at the AOC Webpage.

What past participants have said:

• “I loved every moment of AOC. My most favorite experience was when all of us went to the Paramount School. It was really eye opening and impactful to watch everyone working together as a team.”
  • “My most meaningful moment of this program was helping at Gleaners which greatly increased their productivity for the day by sorting 7,000+ pounds of food that would have taken longer without AOC’s help. Also, helping the lone employee of Indy Urban Acres was very meaningful because the work we did wouldn’t have been completed in a day with just the one employee.”
  • “AOC taught me not only how to get involved in the community, but also how to step up as a leader and do what needs to be done. It taught me how to be more open about who I am and my experiences which I can definitely use in the future as a way help others and even become more of a leader and an active citizen.”
If you have any additional questions, please contact:
Chasmine Anderson, Assistant Director, PuLSE Office

BECOMING #BULLDOGSABROAD REGISTRATION

Program Dates: August 7 – 17, 2018

(Move in to your residence hall and pre-departure meeting on August 7, leave for London on August 8, return back to Indianapolis and Butler on August 17.)

Embark on a 10-day program to London and Paris before your Butler classes even start! This unique opportunity, available for up to 12 incoming first year students, is offered in cooperation with our institutional partner, IFSA-Butler. An exciting travel itinerary has been designed to combine tourism with several visits to overseas schools to introduce you to some of the many study abroad opportunities available to you during your time at Butler. Throughout the program, you will also learn about study abroad policies at Butler and how to work with your academic advisor to build study abroad into your four years at Butler. You will grow your confidence and capacity to travel overseas, as well as create strong friends with fellow first years before beginning your semester at Butler.

What past participants have said:

• “This program gave me the confidence to come back from the trip and face starting college with ease!”
  • “Every day, every minute, was filled with amazing opportunities and adventures.”
  • “This opportunity gave me the independence I needed and made living away from home so much easier.”

Cost: $3,950.00 approximately (fee includes international airfare, housing, activities, some meals, transport to Paris and the study abroad fee) *It will be added to your Butler Student Account for payment with the Fall 2018 student account charges.

12 participants

Jill McKinney, Director of Study Abroad

Calie Florek, Study Abroad Advisor

Deadline to apply is June 1, 2018. Participants will hear from Program Coordinators by June 6 about the program.

2018 Program Dates: August 14-18

Check out the Dawg Days Schedule

Dawg Days acquaints new, underrepresented, domestic, and international students with current students, faculty and staff in a more intimate setting. Participants will engage in academic enrichment, service-learning, and leadership workshops, and complete a volunteer service project to facilitate holistic student development. Social activities including a trip to Kings Island Amusement Park, an Art party on Mass Avenue — the trendy arts and cultural district downtown Indianapolis — and a Cosmic Bowling party highlight the weeklong program agenda. Dawg Days is a four day program.

What past participants have said:

• “Participating in Dawg Days was the best thing I’ve done while attending Butler. The impact of the Dawg Days experience on me will last forever. From this program, I’ve made diverse, lasting friendships, discovered numerous opportunities, received advice that saved me from negative situations, both academically and personally, and so many other positive attributes that shaped me into the successful student I am in my second year.”
  • “Dawg Days helped me make friends with individuals that I am still friends with, and it has honestly helped mold me into the young woman I am now at this point in my college career. Dawg Days gave me a safe haven at Butler – the Diversity Center”.
  • “I participated in Dawg Days as a first-year student and it was such a memorable experience. I met some of my best friends through this program and I would like the chance to be the reason why someone else says the same next year”.
  • “I am interested in being a Diversity Ambassador in order to give back to the program that gave so much to me. I had a great first year at Butler thanks to Dawg Days and I would like to recreate the same experience for incoming first-year students. The academic workshops were invaluable in preparing me for the classroom”.

Cost: $240.00 (includes transportation, meals, activities, supplies and all cost associated with the program)

Cancellation Policy/Refund Schedule

• June 1 – June 30 100%
  • July 1 – August 6 50%
  • After August 6 – No refund with the exception of a medical and/or family emergency

35 participants

*Participants are required and expected to attend all workshops and scheduled events.

Valerie Davidson, Director of the Efroymson Diversity Center

2018 Program Dates: August 15-17

Into the City Schedule:

Day 1 – Students move into their residence halls in the morning, in the afternoon the program begins with orientation; team based activity and relationship building, dinner

Day 2- Professional Preview’ employer visits/tours and meals with alumni

Day 3- TGIF; fun tours of Indy’s downtown and hot spots and meals

Your new city, Indianapolis, recently appeared alongside Copenhagen and Melbourne on Metropolis magazine’s list of nine global cities to watch. Yet, this exciting, growing town is incredibly accessible! Let us show you the way to places and people and ideas that can profoundly impact your college years and inspire your professional future. Explore the diverse corners of your new city through an all access pass to Indy’s cultural districts and their social, professional, and natural hot spots. Meet young professionals and seasoned leaders who work in nonprofit, private, and government businesses that define and are connected to Indianapolis’ vibrant downtown. Begin to envision where your personal passions and academic interests can be put into action on campus, in the city, and beyond. Enjoy sit-down dinners and networking parties with Butler alumni and diverse local professionals in beautiful, eclectic, and inspiring spaces in the heart of Indianapolis. Come have fun with Butler staff, faculty, and alumni as well as fascinating, local professionals and civic leaders – all of whom will become part of your valuable academic and career network before you even step into your first class at Butler! Into the City is a three day program.

Cost: $300.00 (fee covers meals, transportation and event cost for the program)

20 participants

Dress Code: Business casual attire (i.e. nice pants/skirt/dress shirt/blouse/comfortable dress shoes) and Casual/athletic/street attire (i.e. shorts/t-shirts/sneakers)

Jeremy Walthall, LAS Internship & Career Advisor, Internships and Career Services

WELCOME TO SPORTS TOWN REGISTRATION

2018 Program Dates: August 15-17

Welcome to Sports Town Schedule:

Day 1 – Students move into their residence halls in the morning, in the afternoon the program begins with relationship building activities, social activity off campus and dinner

Day 2- Tours and meals with alumni

Day 3- Fun tours of Indy’s downtown and meals with alumni

Welcome to Sports Town! explores how large sporting events like the Indianapolis 500, NCAA Final Four®, and the Super Bowl are coordinated. By tapping into our vast Butler network, our goal is to explore many aspects of preparing for center stage, world-class events. We will be meeting with key members of sports associations, visiting venues, and considering the impact of the sports industry on the region. Welcome to Sports Town is a three day program.

Check out Welcome to Sports Town!

What past participants have said:

• “I want to thank you for helping to make my transition to college easy and fun. I am now at ease. I feel as though I have a great group of friends and I am one step ahead of the game.”
  • “Participation opened my eyes to a career I had never imagined but now I know it encompasses many of my strengths and passions.”
  • “I already feel at home because of the early days.  I know my campus, I know some faculty, I know my city and I made friends!”

Cost: $240.00 (fee covers meals, transportation and event cost for the program)

30 participants

Dress Code: Casual/athletic attire (i.e. shorts/t-shirts/sneakers)

Sally Click, Dean of Students

Julie Schrader, Associate Director, Internships and Career Services

WILDERNESS EXPLORERS

2018 Program Dates: August 13-18

This program provides an adventure that begins by traveling from Butler to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky to hike and camp in the Natural Bridge State Park. You will also climb the Via Farretta at Torrent Falls Climbing Adventures and experience an awesome Red River Gorge zip line tour! You will then travel to Morengo Cave National Landmark in southern Indiana where you will experience a cave crawl tour, enjoy kayaking on the Blue River, and camping. On the final day of our trip, you will travel back to campus to take on Butler’s High Challenge Course. Each of you will have the opportunity to establish a community and lasting friendships! Wilderness explorers is a five day program.

What past participants have said:

• “It was such an amazing experience and it really helped me feel so much more comfortable once we got back to Butler.”
  • “These activities allow to you to learn what you can do—encouragement, communication, and how to get through when you are stuck.”
  • “Simply amazing trip. It was a wonderful way to meet people!”
  • “I got to meet so many people and form such great friendships.”

Cost: $465.00 (fee covers meals, transportation, equipment rental and all events for the program)

15 participants

Erinn McCluney, Assistant Director of Recreation