“After Cowboy Chicken Came to Town” Blog Post

What stood out to me the most in this story is the narrator’s perspective of working in an American restaurant in China and how his customers react to the American food. He states that Cowboy Chicken is the only American restaurant in Muji City, even though it serves purely fried chicken. What surprised me the most was when a bride and groom wanted “exotic” food for their wedding dinner so they chose to cater Cowboy Chicken. The narrator also was able to try more American foods, mainly desserts, at the wedding, which really put into perspective that depending on your culture and environment, people define “exotic” and “foreign” very differently. I had a similar experience this weekend when I went to an Asian food market with my friend. We bought different kinds of Asian candy, fruit, and drinks that I have never tried before. I really liked the different kinds of jelly candy we bought, which relates to the narrator’s experience with the cheesecake at the wedding, which was a new dessert to him. I think that people are really fascinated with other culture’s and countries’ foods, which is beneficial because it teaches and encourages us to go out of our comfort zones. However, there are some drawbacks, such as when the narrator and his co-workers felt that Mr. Shapiro was running Cowboy Chicken as a capitalist business while they were in a socialist country. This was confusing to the employees because they didn’t understand why Peter wasted the leftover chicken and he made so much more money than everyone else. Therefore, bringing other cultures’ foods and traditions into other countries encourages diversity, but it can also be tricky if their practices don’t align with their values.