Yin Yang Symbol

I have seen the Yin Yang symbol in stores, on clothing, in movies and in books. However, I had never taken the time to research the real meaning and history of this popular symbol.

The Yin Yang symbol represents an interconnectedness of opposite forces in nature. The white and black colors represent opposites in the world (darkness/light, positive/negative, open/closed). The symbol is positioned in a curving way, with an S shaped line going through the middle to symbolize the constant connection and flow between the two. They form a complete circle and each has a small circle of the other color in it, which shows that there can’t be one without a little of the other. It represents the entirety of the universe.

The history of the Yin Yang dates back a long time. In Chinese mythology, Yin and Yang were born from chaos when the universe was first created and existed in harmony at the centre of the earth. This balance allowed for the birth of P’an ku, the first human. The Zhou Dynasty was said to spread the concept of the Yin Yang and associate it with philosophical ideas. Philosophers began to incorporate it into their teachings and became an important part of Daoism.

By nmsimpso

Hola! My llamo Natalie Simpson. Tengo 18 años, soy un estudiante en Butler University. Quiero ser un PA despues de universidad. Quiero obtener un minor en Español.