The Great Learning Reflection

In previous world history courses we had touched upon The Great Learning and of Confucianism, but I enjoyed learning more about this concept and going more in-depth. I found it interesting to note that The Great Learning, although they closely represent the views and ideas of Confucius and attributed to him, they were not actually written by him. One of the ways of reasoning that reminded me of one of the teachings of Daoism: “Things have their root and their branches. Affairs have their end and their beginning. To know what is first and what is last will lead near to what is taught in the Great Learning.” This connects to a couple of the concepts presented in Daoism including yin and yang, which represents that the universe is full of opposites and they must be put in balance, as well as the idea of assigning value to concepts such as beauty and ugliness when in reality, they must exist in balance. Similarly, this idea of comparing roots and branches, beginning and end in Confucianism suggested that these opposites must live in balance and cannot be one without the other.