My first drum circle experience for my ICR

Going into it, I had no idea what to expect from my drum circle. I will say it sounded cool because I like music so that is why I did it. When we got there it seemed like it was just like my middle school music class. We set up chairs, moved drums out, and got to know each other. Sister Stella was the leader of the group and she was always full of energy. She actively encouraged our participation, gave us drums to use, and even had us learn custom dances from Uganda I believe. I was surprised to learn we were not just doing the drumming, we were actively involved in the process of dancing too. She even gave us traditional African ceremonial clothing we wore which if we were given it by any other person I would’ve felt uncomfortable wearing. I honestly was not expecting I would have that much fun but when we got in a line and learned a dance together as a group I felt like this was a fun experience. We learned a drum beat from Sister Stella’s friend from Liberia who was active in leading many of the drum circles. It is unfortunate that the drum circle got shut down twice so far because it makes a gloomy Sunday feel much better when you are dancing to the beat of a drum with people you just met.