Islamic World Documentary Clip Analysis

As I have grown up in the Catholic Church, I recognize many similarities between Catholicism and Islam. While the interviewee in the film addresses those who practice the religion I grew up in as “Catholic friends,” I am given a very different and much more open perspective of the different religions. The interviewee addressed both fasting and purgatory as similar ways to practice understanding suffering and the belief of life after death. Although I have had several friends who practice Islam, this short documentary has given me a different perspective that addresses the similarities between the two, specifically regarding the devout nature and dedication of one’s time to the idea of a higher power beyond this world. The concept of praying on one’s knees to commemorate the idea of praise and worship is also similar to the Catholic faith as kneeling is common practice during transubstantiation for Catholics. I also find it very interesting that 82% of the practicing population of Muslims are not of Arabic origin. I find this to be both an interesting and enlightening discovery as this religion has appealed to a number of individuals outside of its originating country, resulting in a diversity in ethnicities practicing Islam simply for their beliefs and means of worship on a global scale. I greatly appreciate and agree with his perspective on coercion within religion. This individual is clearly very tolerant of other religions and seems to agree with the enlightened religious perspective that there are multiple paths to achieve salvation in the afterlife. Overall, it is very unfortunate that Islam was painted in such a negative light by individuals who had a political agenda; however, I feel that the religion itself and individuals who taint the religion can be best separated by educating individuals about the true religion and its values.