Islamic Unit 10/19 Notes

The most interesting part of this whole lecture was the fact that the largest Muslim popularity is in Indonesia and in 2060, is going to be in India. I’ve never associated Indonesia or India with being heavily Islamic. I thought that would be a Middle Eastern country like Iran or something. I’m not really sure what I thought, but I thought India would be big on Buddhism. I am glad that I now know Middle Eastern countries don’t have the largest Muslim population in the world. That helps me better understand Islam as a religion and Indonesia/India as countries.

I also didn’t realize that the Qur’an was untranslationable. Unlike the Bible, which has so many different interpretations and translations and version, the Qur’an is only written in Arabic. I think that’s a good idea because that means there can’t be any information lost in translation, like I know there is within the Bible translations. However, I did enjoy learning about the similarities between Christianity and Islam. I knew they both originated from the Middle East, and the fact that only one of them (Christianity) moved from the Middle East to other countries in the vast way it is now was super fun to learn about. I am going to enjoy learning about this religion a lot because I really don’t know much.