ICR 11/10

This was one of the best visits I have had to the IPS Newcomer Program. In math, the kids took a test. This was the first time I have been able to witness an exam in person since volunteering at the school. Most of the time, I observe the kids working together – not separately. Some of them struggled a lot more trying to do the work independently than they usually do when working in groups. I think that much of this has to do with the language barrier. When they are confused during group work while trying to complete a worksheet, one of their friends is usually able to explain it in their native language, in words they understand. This is not the case with taking the exams alone.
The language barrier has also become a common issue in the art class I have observed. Art can be difficult to understand when not explained correctly. The teacher in that class uses a translating app. She says the directions in English, and the app repeats the directions in Spanish. This seems to help the kids understand what the instructions are.