Monotheism and The Bible

This video and transcript discusses how the Bible considers the Christian religion to be monotheistic because of the belief of only one God. I find it so interesting how in other religions there are polytheistic which is the belief in many Gods. There is not a chance of proving or disproving these belief in gods however, the Christian religion is so dominate.

According to MacDonald, what we tend to discover in the biblical text is much more, something we may term monolatry, or the concept that there may be multiple deities, but only one is to be worshipped. So, if we consider the first commandment, “You shall have no other gods before me,” we find a text that acknowledges the presence of other gods while insisting that only one is to be worshipped: Yahweh, the God of Israel.

Therefore in my view, there is a gray area in the full belief of one god to exist within the Bible BUT only one is worshipped as the heavenly father and the creator. I think this could be considered overlap with not just Abrahamic religions but religions in general. People want a higher elite power to believe in whether dating back to early ages or now.