Categories
Uncategorized

Shame and Honor in “Flame” 2/11

Ha Jin’s “Flame” story was one that when I first read, I thought could have been told in about a fourth of the amount words that it was. However, after careful thoughts about the writing, I realized that the length of the story actually contributed to the message I got out of it. The length of the story highlights the lengths that Nimei went to in order to impress her lover, Hsu Peng, from sixteen years prior. 

“Flame” highlights how shame and honor can play a role in the certain Chinese cultures. Nimei went to great lengths by sacrificing money, time with other patients at the hospital, and her positive self-image in order to avoid shame from her first love who was possibly coming to visit her. She was so fearful of embarrassment that she made her husband make fresh fish stew everyday for one of her patients, so she would be able to get a political favor out of him later on in order to bring more honor to her family for when Hsu Peng arrived. It was interesting that the smallest indication that Hsu Peng may come visit Nimei made her change the entire course of her daily actions. She began working out more and spending time with patients for the sake of her husband maybe getting a better job. I think this shows that Nimei really was in love with him when they were young adults, but also that shame is something that should be avoided at all costs.

The ending of this story made me think that shame and honor are not always things that we need to be fearful of or attempt to gain and that often it is better to come as you are. The people that truly love you will want you to be your authentic self, and not care about your social status, material items, or the hardships you have been through.