Categories
Uncategorized

ICR Reflection Journal #2 2/11

This Tuesday at the IPS newcomer program, I was able to work with a different group of children, since they alternate between block A and B scheduling. This group of children was about the same in terms of diversity. I engaged in the same type of work as last week. I sat with the children and spoke to them while we all worked on our art projects.

This week I struggled a little bit more to connect with the kids because they were a little less outgoing. They also seemed to struggle with English more than the previous group. However, I have learned by volunteering at this school that actions truly do speak louder than words. One girl pointed to the Mexican flag that she had incorporated into her 3D drawing and smiled at me. This is not the first instance where I have encountered these children’s love for their home countries. I admire how passionate they are about where they came from and how they refuse to forget their roots despite starting their new lives in the United States. This sort of reminded me of After Cowboy Chicken Came to Town when the workers went on strike because of the pay disparity. They were using what they knew about their culture to try to solve an issue they felt passionate about even if it resulted in some getting fired. While I was sitting with a group, there was also one girl who had her head down the whole time and did not feel like speaking to anyone. I wanted to approach her, but decided it was better to just leave her per the teacher’s request. 

I talked to Mrs. Latta one-on-one about the nature of this community and how some students seemed more down than others. I asked her if the school had any designated “safe spaces”, and she said she was not sure if there was one that was completely finished yet. We talked about creating a sort of “safe space”/ “zen zone” for the students in a section of her art closet instead. I think this would be great for the students to have an area to just cool down or be in private with their emotions if they need a few minutes. I think this experience with some students not wanting to talk to me and putting their head down made me want to make an effort to solve the problem so I can better help the students with anything they may be struggling with, even if it is a small contribution. This experience also enhanced my sense of responsibility to others in order to help them be the best versions of themselves. I want to enhance the solid support system and environment for the kids at school.