Categories
Uncategorized

ICR Introduction Meeting

The first time our group met for our ICR, Benny and Kwan came to speak with our class. It was a very informative discussion about how they came to the U.S. years ago and got acclimated and learned English and our culture through education and many different experiences. We then shifted to how they believe our ICR and our volunteering can benefit society as well as learning and embracing the Chinese culture better. We talked about the possibility of doing this Lion Dance, which is a traditional Chinese dance that brings good luck and health to many people. This interests me very much since I went to China for an internship two summers ago, but I wasn’t there long enough to embrace more of the culture as I wish I did. Learning this dance and other aspects of the Chinese culture is something that I am looking forward to now and for the rest of our ICR. Not to mention, Kwan is a very understandable and nice man who teaches us the right and wrong ways about learning the Chinese culture and explains each very well. He understands that we are college students who are new with learning about a new culture, which makes him a very qualified teacher, especially for this subject matter. I am looking forward to the other events to embrace their culture some more, as well as better the Indianapolis society for other potential events that come forth.