Categories
Uncategorized

Virtual ICR Reflection 4/9

Today, I met with several students over the phone to conduct another virtual tutoring session. We went through several exercises that helped the students apply the material they learned about the three branches of government. We also learned about state government specific to Indiana. We shared discussions about how we were doing at home amidst the coronavirus chaos. This season is important in many faiths, so we discussed how our experiences were changing without being able to carry on with typical traditions.

Through the interfaith discussions about how we were spending our time during this season, I developed a deeper understanding for what this season means for people of other faiths. Developing this deeper cultural understanding is important to relate to members of my community and be respectful as well as more knowledgeable. Additionally, I did not attend K-12 school in Indiana. Learning about the Indiana state government was also new to me. Both the informal discussions and the formal lesson about the government helped me understand more about both the community I live in as well as other cultural groups. Blending community groups is a topic that has been touched on several times throughout this course and is extremely important.

I learned that there are many ways to build your knowledge and broaden your understanding about different communities or cultures. Having simple discussions with the students helped me broaden my understanding about different cultures. Sometimes these personal perspectives are the most beneficial because it offers a safe space for asking questions and understanding someone’s culture at a personal level. I realized how valued the students felt when I took time to learn about their personal culture and experiences.