Categories
Uncategorized

4/14 Virtual ICR Reflection

Today, I tutored two English language learning students over the phone. We discussed chapter five in their ESL textbook. Chapter five was about the government and the economy, rule of law, federal and state government, and The Constitution. The exercises included helped the student develop vocabulary, grammar, and civics skills. We also did discussion and debate as part of the lesson.

In Cairo House, a major theme is where does Gigi feel like she fits in. On page 149, Serageldin writes, “where do I [Gigi] belong? Where is the chameleon’s natural habitat?” In the discussion and debate components of the lesson, I frequently hear this same idea echoed through what the students share about navigating their lives in the United States. In some of the countries the students come from, the government is very different. Some students prefer elements of their government in their native country compared to the United States. Some students really miss their native country and left important memories or family back in their native country. While the students are actively trying to become citizens in the United States and adopt a new national identity, they do not erase where they came from. I see a lot of parallels between Gigi’s story and the story of the students trying to understand and adopt a new identity while still maintaining an identity in his/her native country.

I understand more through working with diverse students the difficulty of meshing multiple community groups. Despite it sometimes being difficult, it is important to integrate one community group with another because diversity helps in many different areas of life. It is important for me to be respectful and understanding during these conversations. I do this out of respect for the students, but I also want to listen to understand the cultures and communities of others in order to help make myself more educated.