Chanting Across the Cultural Boundaries

As we read through chapters two and three, there are a few things that seem to scream at me from within the page. The biggest of which is the variance of the styles of chanting. It amazes me that there are not just multiple ways to chant in different regions of the world, but the mere fact that numerous branches of the same religion have different methods of ritual chanting…it blows my mind. Then in the chapter 3 video explaining chanting in English throws a curveball at me, because they tell of the fact that there are a number of ways to chant in the English language alone. This idea doesn’t really sit right with me, as I love a set of standards that govern my thinking decisions.

The other big piece that jumps out at me from within the textbook is the basic idea that just because we don’t know the notes doesn’t mean we cannot sing the songs. In a way, chanting these passages is just an avenue of singing without the notes; a concept that does not connect in my mind all too well. There really is a strong resilience of the art of the ancient world in these ways. The notes have been lost, but the songs remain even in this age. There is a certain beauty to that when you truly take the time to think about it.