Predictability & Unpredictability

Something we discussed in class today was the idea that the music we listen to and love runs a fine line of predictability and unpredictability. When I think about this, I think of the usual structure of songs that is familiar to me: verse 1, chorus 1, verse 2, chorus 2, bridge, chorus 3. The reason I think of this is because this is a perfect example of the predictability of a song. Almost every song I love has this format and structure. However, what the songs I love also have are dynamics instrumentally and vocally. An example of this is two songs I like which are “What a Beautiful Name” by Hillsong and “Drivers License” by Olivia Rodrigo. Although they are different genres of music, both of these songs have very similar structures, making what part of the song that is coming next very predictable. But the vocal dynamics of the songs make what is coming next very unpredictable. The bridge of a song is also another factor that plays into the unpredictability of it. Both of the songs that I used as an example is a perfect representation of this. For both of these songs, the song is very repetitive and predictable except for the bridge which is very unpredictable and is what makes the song interesting. This being said, I agree with the idea the most of the songs we listen to run a fine line of predictability and unpredictability.