Bringing the Bible to Visual Life

The use of modern technologies in representing the Bible has never come as a second thought to me. As early as I can remember beginning in Sunday Bible School, we had variations of the Bible represented through musicals, movies, and shows. My most favorite example, Veggie Tales. Talking in class today about the controversies in representing Jesus’ story through movies came initially as a surprise to me. With further discussion, I understand why and respect the arguments. There is a fine line between using modern technologies into portraying the stories of the Bible with a positive, educational purpose, or for negative manners that benefit only the producers.

Visual aids and visual learning is extremely common and is extremely beneficial when it comes to educating younger minds. Therefore, with the most best-intended use, modern technologies can be used to educate more kids at a younger age. This is what I consider being a positive use of modern technologies regarding the Bible.

It was interesting to me now to go back to review previous movie clips or visual aids I watched as a kid about the Bible. I always had a clear picture in my mind for popular verses of the Bible and never consciously made the connection it was because of musicals and movies from younger ages. Someone in class brought up today when Noah built the ark and brought on all the animals, how she had a clear visual image of that story. It reminds me of watching the movie Evan Almighty in 2007 when it first came out. I don’t confuse the characters between Noah and Steve Carell, or mistaken Morgan Freeman for being included in the Bible, but I love having a visual representation of the story. As long as the story remains accurate I love having the ability to include Jesus in my movie nights.