The Bible and How I Read It

I didn’t realize that when I read I do in fact add stuff. This was a new revelation for me today. In Psalm 23, I always picture mountains. The passage says nothing about them, but I always picture sheep somewhere like Scotland or the Faroe Islands or even New Zealand, walking with their shepherd over the rolling hills. Another way I add to the Bible in my mind is that I have the same image of Jesus when I read the Gospel. The classic picture we have all seen. It doesn’t describe at all what he looks like, but I have a mental picture nonetheless. Yet another way I add imagery to the Bible is in Exodus when God sends manna to the Israelites, I always imagine it as little pieces of angel’s food cake because it talks about how it was sweet. The final way that I came up with of how I add images to the Bible, is at Pentecost I always imagine the tongues of fire like how they portray Ariel losing her voice in the Little Mermaid, but orange. In my mind, it looks kind of like a mist traveling between people.