The Story of Jesus in Music and Film

Today in class we looked at many examples of the story of Jesus in films and music. I noticed that each film presented him a little differently than the other. Some examples of some differences I have seen would be (1) the crosses — in one film they were much taller and also only had the three. In another film they were much shorter, and had many more crosses in the back, showing it as an execution site. The whole time watching I couldn’t help but notice the setting and just how depressing the music that followed it was. Looking at Passion of the Christ there are many prominent differences from the older movies. There is a lot more music. You definitely see more of Jesus pain and suffering in the movie. You see more emotion from every person in this movie. One of the musical examples in the music was the heartbeat, and I think that was genius. The music definitely helped me with the interpretation of the events. Its draws someone more in and really shows just how intense that scene was. I think Passion of the Christ had the best amount of music, which really helped the film. The Greatest Story Ever Told was very quiet for many of us. And it just didn’t fit well with it. I loved the musical/Rock Opera (I think it’s called Jesus Christ Superstar). It was definitely a different take that really at least got me into the story of Jesus. Of course, it was controversial when it didn’t have to be. Because if you really sit back, it’s a great depiction of the story of Jesus.