Gaining Confidence

Something I have learned throughout this class so far is that songwriting, singing, and instrument playing is worth doing at all levels. I have played the guitar for 4 years but I am not a very developed instrumentalist. I have really only learned how to play in order to sing with it. But as I said, something I have learned in this class is that it does not matter what level you are at, whatever you have to offer is worth sharing. This has given me a bit more confidence to perform or try to perform with my guitar. It has helped me realize that I should be quicker to use my skills despite my lack of confidence because how am I supposed to become better at guitar if I do not use it publicly.

An example I have of this is of the intern position I hold at my church. For all of high school I was the worship director and leader of the youth group I was a part of. The entire time, I would delegate the responsibility of playing guitar to a friend and I would just sing. After I graduated I was offered a ministry internship at the same church doing the same thing but with pay. I eventually gained enough courage to play the guitar while I was leading worship. I realized that I would not get better if I did not put myself out there.

1 comment