Biblical Children Songs

Something interesting I found from the activity of finding children songs that were written from biblical texts that we did relates to the song This Little Light of Mine. What I found interesting about this song is that so many students chose this song to present to the class. It is a very popular and very widely known song and I began to wonder why is was the case. After hearing everyone’s presentations I realized that there was something different about this song – there were many verses throughout the gospels that can be matched to it, not just one song.  A few examples of this is:

Luke 11:33 – “No one after lighting a lamp puts it in a cellar, but on the lampstand so that those who enter may see the light.”

Matthew 5:14-16 – “You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hid. No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.”

John 1:5 – “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.”