Schoenberg’s Twelve Tones

The idea of music being restricted initially came as a surprise to me. Granted, I don’t have the experience of creating music, however, I always thought music had always been free to the producer. The idea of Schoenberg discovering freedom when it comes to music must have been exhilarating and promising to what the future could hold on to new creations. With that, comes my surprise at his creation of the twelve tones. After just discovering the endless possibilities of music, I would imagine a bit more time exploring this freedom. It is understandable that with more freedom comes more chaos and even anxieties with the pressure of creating something so amazing. However, the reaction to creating a system that restricts the notes to only the use of specific twelve and even in a specific order, might not have been my initial reaction.

Regardless of my surprise at this information, the twelve tones list made by Schoenberg changed the way music had already been made into something even more beautiful. The twelve-tone video does a great job putting this idea onto paper and in a way, someone with very little music theory knowledge can still understand. The idea of this adjustment to music seems rather difficult to produce but the music that the video offered as examples was arguably more beautiful than the original. Specifically thinking of “Mary had a Little Lamb” (disregarding the fairly foul new text to go along with it). Overall, the idea of the twelve-tones was incredibly interesting and a topic I plan to further investigate.