The Lord’s Prayer and Biblical Music

The Lord’s Prayer is widely known, regardless of religious status. It is common in media and music. I can recite some of it and I am not Christian. Since it’s so popularly used, it becomes known by many people. It is like when you can remember lyrics to a song you can’t recall listening to or even liking. Elvis Presley did a musical version of The Lord’s Prayer. The Beach Boys also do a version which is on their album “The Beach Boys Rarities.” Sister Janet Mead’s 1973 version of The Lord’s Prayer was even on the Top 40 hits chart for a period. Something notable from these songs and using The Lord’s Prayer and other bible verses in music is that they are quite basic and broad making them easy to remember. When these artists write/preform a song where all that is needed is the repetition of a couple verses, it creates a song easy to remember and recite. I noticed that lots of the children’s Christian songs were just a few lines repeated over and over. This could be just because the songs are targeted towards children and it is easier for children to recite and understand short and repetitive songs. However, the song by Sister Janet Mead that made the hits chart repeated the same few lines and that’s all. This is a common theme among religious music and with adaptions of verses and biblical stories into songs.