Classics Around the World: Jarrod Koester

Butler Classics is proud to present our second Classics Spotlight. Jarrod Koester, a junior history major, shares his experiences and memories from his study abroad trip to Greece this summer. Read Jarrod’s story below:

“My first year at Butler I took a class about Ancient Greek and Roman history, and while I enjoyed the class, I never imagined that I would have a significant encounter with classics outside the classroom setting. As I continued through the rest of my first year and into the second, I began seriously considering studying abroad, but I struggled to find a program that both interested me and was offered in the summer because my status as a double major makes leaving campus for an entire semester a challenge. While I was about to forfeit my search, I received an email from my department advertising a trip to Greece for an archaeological field school through UC Berkeley. I’m not sure if it was my love for history or my distant familiarity with archeology, but something would not let me forget about this email.  I found myself constantly thinking about it until finally I emailed Dr. Kvapil, an unfamiliar Butler Classics professor to me at the time, and met with her to discuss the program. I remember leaving Dr. K’s office and immediately feeling as though I could not pass up this opportunity. After submitting my application a few months later and being accepted into the program, my anticipation grew and the exciting reality that I would be going to Greece set in!

Fast forward to July 2018. I wasn’t sure what to expect from the program. After a few days in the village of Archaea Kleones, I already felt at home and was constantly full of the incredible food.  However, I had absolutely no experience in archeology. After talking with the other students, I quickly realized everyone else shared my initial anxiety. As soon as we began working in the field and learning from the supervisors, our fears began to disappear. I won’t lie, the days were long and very hot, but as I began to participate more, became comfortable with the techniques, and learned how to properly record the ever-changing site in my journal, I started to feel confident. This confidence spread to my efforts in the museum that we worked in as well.

On the days that we weren’t working in the field or museum, we traveled to many places that I never even dreamed I would visit. As we toured Olympia, Corinth, Athens, and other cities I recalled my readings from that very first course I took on Greek history. The entire experience felt surreal. Months later I still find myself checking the photos on my phone to be certain the trip wasn’t just some elaborate dream.  Encountering historical locations first-hand, especially ones featured in ancient myths and plays, has an everlasting impact on you as a person.

By the end of the five weeks I spent in Greece, I had a strengthened respect for archaeology and a newfound passion for classics. I am seriously considering participating in this program again because it was a life-changing experience and it allowed me to create so many incredible memories. I am thankful for the Butler University Classics department, and especially Dr. Kvapil, for providing me with this opportunity and encouraging me to take part in it. I cannot wait until I return to Greece, and I hope that more people can participate in similar programs to learn more about these ancient people and help preserve the history of this beautiful place.”