Quotes from Trip Participants

Students were asked to select a quote by a British author and connect it to their experience on the Children’s Literature Study Tour of Great Britain. This is a sampling of what they wrote:

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.” -Roald Dahl

This study abroad trip was the trip of a lifetime. It is hard to believe that it has already come and gone. I chose this quote by Roald Dahl because of how it draws importance to living life in a state of awe. As I went through this trip, I tried to observe what I saw and what I was experiencing with glittering eyes, as Roald Dahl recommends. -C.B. 2015

“Sometimes the smallest things take the most room in your heart.” -A.A. Milne

This quote from A.A. Milne resonated with me because this was the summer of books for me. Not only was this trip about immersing myself in British children’s literature, I also have been completing research on the classroom library. I also read a variety of professional texts to help with my research which has given me new perspective on teaching reading in the elementary grades. […] Not only were books an important part of my summer as I grew professionally, the relationships I made through this trip were life changing. By bonding over books and sharing our book purchases, we grew closer. I met people beyond my year at Butler. I met teachers who have shared their experiences in their own classrooms. I met others who were younger than me and I got to hear their perspectives. Every single person shares space in my heart. This trip was life changing, inspiring, and incredible. I could not say enough about my incredible experience and I am so grateful that I was given this opportunity. -K.B. 2015

“It is our choices, Harry, that show us who we truly are, far more than our abilities.” -JK Rowling

This quote from Albus Dumbledore depicts the control over our own lives. We have the ability to choose who we want to be and how we get to that point. This study abroad trip illuminated my desire to appreciate and understand diversity. I have always been drawn to new experiences. I believe one of the benefits of travel is that you leave the destination with the same suitcase, but a different mindset. We grow, accept, challenge, try, experience, learn, and discover what lies beyond our own backyard. -M.K.D. 2015

“Little by little, one travels far.” -J.R.R. Tolkien

This quote applies to our learning process before, throughout, and after this trip. We took small steps to prepare for our journey. We read books, biographies, watched movies and listened to stories in order to expand our understanding of the sites we saw. We took the small, little step necessary to truly appreciate what we would see. In the College of Education at Butler, we would talk a lot about the importance of scaffolding learning. Of stopping a lesson to make sure the students were soaking it in. Of going back and reteaching topics and ideas. This is what this course has been able to do in order to give us a more meaningful learning opportunity, and it’s something I look forward to applying in my classroom. […] Taking the small steps to help my students understand a concept. Taking the time to build background knowledge to help scaffold their learning. Having them reflect on their learning experience. The idea of small steps is so important in education, because that what builds meaningful learning. It’s the process, not the standard, that’s most important. Just like it’s the journey, not the destination, that makes traveling important. -K.K. 2015

“You can’t stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” -A.A. Milne

This makes me think of the leap of faith I took to go on this trip. I wasn’t close to any of the people going and I didn’t even know a handful so like I mentioned before I was a bit nervous. I see this quote as obviously reaching out to people but also reaching out into the world to find adventure because it’s not always going to come to you. -B.B. 2015

Here are some additional quotes from trip participants:

This literary tour connected pieces of culture, philosophy, history, and arts with my own experiences. Hands on explorations provided a strong foundation for learning. We had access to cultural experts, famous literature, breathtaking landscapes, historical tours, and authentic cuisine. The combination of all of the multi sensory things ensured a memorable and life changing journey. -M.K.D. 2015

When I embarked on this trip, I knew that exploring the birthplace of many children’s books would help me to have a deeper understanding of the books of my childhood. I grew up reading many of the classic stories such as Peter Pan and Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. The authors of these stories have histories, and they were impacted by the environment and the people around them. By visiting the important places relating to these books, you gain insight into the cultures that influence the text. -H.W. 2015

The most important message I will take back with me from this trip is the influence children’s literature has on a culture. I remember the tour around Oxford and how one of the main buildings had characters from various children’s books. The architect  incorporated characters from many books such as The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis, and Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. It was neat to think that these books had a permanent home in Oxford by being part of the buildings. -H.W. 2015

The [Harry Potter] Studio Tour allowed us to peek behind the curtain and better appreciate just how much toil is required to keep the magic going. Seeing the evolution of sets, costumes, and characters through sketches, models, and artifacts gave us a much deeper and more comprehensive understanding and appreciation for what it takes to bring a story to life. For some, viewing these artifacts  and watching the show was a very emotional experience, because these stories are intimately intertwined with our own memories and psyche. This is what makes an experience like the British Children’s Lit tour so incredible: it gives us the opportunity to interact with creative masterpieces on a personal level. We can touch the walls of Hogwarts’ Dining Hall, feel the wind whip through Peter Rabbit’s garden, smell Ms. Trunchbull’s cake, and so much more. -J.J. 2015

Going into this trip, I wasn’t sure what to expect from Edinburgh. I didn’t know too much about it’s history or culture. However, it’s now on my list of “Places to Revisit With More Time” list. One of the things that made an impact on me while there was how walkable the city was. I could imagine a J.K. Rowling strolling around the city and being heavily influenced by the scenery of the water, mountains, castles and cobblestone walls. I could imagine her getting chilled during this stroll and walking into The Elephant House, ordering a coffee and writing down all the ideas in her head. I can imagine Rowling looking out the window at Edinburgh castle, and imagining a different castle high upon rocks where students, not Royals, spent their days. -K.K. 2015

As a teacher and a past student of Butler University, I find that this experience related to the core value of the appreciation of diversity and similarity.  Traveling around the United Kingdom prompted me to think about how I could respect the people and the culture that influenced the books we explored.  In order to learn about the various places that impacted these books, I had to converse with local people in each area. I found this most valuable because it helped me to understand the traditions of England and Scotland. My favorite parts of the trip were the experiences that taught me a lot about the history of England and Scotland. The Edinburgh Castle and the Cathedrals helped to paint a picture of their cultural history.  I will be able to incorporate my knew knowledge into my teaching and reading of these books in my classroom. -H.W. 2015

Our Harry Potter Studio Tour was one of my personal highlights of our trip. It was so inspiring to see and hear these great creative minds interpret and create a world from the works of J.K. Rowling. One of the most impressive parts of the tour was seeing the concept art. To see these early images of some of my favorite characters and places was a great experience for me. It was very inspiring to see how J.K. Rowling’s vivid description within her book could be interpreted and brought to life. -K.K. 2015

While we were in Edinburgh, we went into a store called Lickety Split. It sells both candy and handmade jewelry and crafts. The owner told us that she used to work at The Elephant Café where JK Rowling wrote a lot of Harry Potter. While working there, she got to know JK Rowling. She said that Rowling used the view out the window in The Elephant Café as inspiration for the building of Hogwarts and some of the names in the book. She said that some of the names in the book can be found on graves from the cemetery behind the café. This showed me that inspiration can be found anywhere and everywhere. With the variety of landscapes in Edinburgh and the land around it, it is not hard to see why it has inspired so many people. -C.B. 2015

“Wow! That will be a fun trip!” This was the reaction I mostly received when I told people I would be traveling to Great Britain to study Children’s Literature. They were correct! However, throughout preparing for the trip, studying and reading various books by the authors, and seeing the places and landscapes that inspired these influential writers, I have walked away with a deeper understanding and respect for what these authors and illustrators set out to teach and show us through their classic tales. Beatrix Potter didn’t just write cutesy animal stories; she was a trailblazer, who led the way for females to take an active role not only in the children’s books industry, but showed us that women could be savvy businesswomen. She no doubt cleared the way for future female authors such as J.K. Rowling, who have proved that females can create a force of nature through the worlds they create. C.S. Lewis’s “Chronicles of Narnia” series was not only a fun read for it’s readers. It also created political and religious parallels for readers to interpret and reflect upon as years have passed. I could go on all day about seemingly never ending list of authors and illustrators that created these lands for us as children. Yet, as we reread this classics and study them, we see that they are more than just storytellers. These authors are documenters, journalists, political activists, a defenders of the importance of childhood. How would childhood be different without their tales? Many times children’s literature is dismissed by critics as merely “fun.” But is there really a more important pieces of literature in the world? Throughout schools and libraries across the country books for children and teens are among the most frequently circulated. They literally fall to pieces from use. How can we dismiss them as merely “cute?” They are influencing future presidents, leaders, researches, creators, innovators, etc. They can continue to have major influence throughout our lives. As C.S. Lewis once said, “A children’s story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children’s story in the slightest.” -K.K. 2015