The Documentary (Readings for 11/5)

I am not a fan of documentaries, but I didn’t mind watching this one. As I think I have already mentioned before, I really don’t know anything about the religion of Islam. Learning about the Hajj was very interesting. As someone else said in class today, I had no idea that the pilgrimage was as organized or arduous. I have always had the idea that they visited the sacred city and the Kaaba to give praise and acknowledge its historical and spiritual beauty and then called it a day. Their pilgrimage is truly a journey within themselves’, and it seems as though it would be refreshing. I say this because in the documentary, the man kept talking about going back to the basics. A break from the usual obligations and cell phones and societal structures would be nice for a change, and definitely helpful in order to get into the right state of mind for such a holy adventure. The part I really liked regarding this idea, was that everybody, regardless of status, money, etc., wore the same simple clothing in the same way. I also loved when he explained how walking down the street in Mecca, was like walking around the world because of the diversity in people who practice the religion. The video made me feel like the Hajj is something that all cultures and all people, religious or not, can learn from. During the Hajj, fighting isn’t allowed, and everyone is treated equally regardless of race or ethnicity. How is it that two million people can gather in a crowded place, and seemingly drop all negative human characteristics in order to complete this mission for their religion? Why can’t everyone do that all the time?