Identity and Self-Discovery Abroad

Written by: Jonathan Shinn  |  Fall 2023
IES Abroad Milan – Music: Voice, Composition & Instrumental

I will never regret studying abroad. When you talkJonathan posing on a rock on the coast of San Fruttuoso.  to most people who have studied abroad in college, you will probably hear the same few phrases over and over again; “studying abroad changed my life”….“I learned so much”….etc. At first, I didn’t think this would be me, but by the end it was. I thought I would come in and out of this experience mostly the same, I knew a lot would probably challenge me and I was excited for all of the change. However, while I felt prepared for the culture shock (which never really hit in my case) I was not prepared for the more subtle ways studying abroad forces you into a world of self-discovery.

How I was pushed abroad:A wooden boat on the water in front of San Fruttuoso

Being independent abroad is amazing because you feel as if your fate is finally in your own hands, away from all the pressures of life in the states. With this newfound
independence came more decisions. Do I stay with the Americans in my program and make friends with them or do I push myself to practice Italian and make friends with the locals? What do I do with all of my extra time?

Time, time, time. I haven’t had this much time to myself since what seems like middle school! I don’t have class on Fridays, I have a smaller workload, and I am in class less compared to Butler. As a person who enjoys being busy 24/7, this was a struggle at first for me. I feel as if I have finally found a healthy school-work-life balance and I have Italy to thank for it. In my experience, it seems Italians work to live, not live to work.

I was also pushed to struggle with my identity overall abroad. Interacting with a different culture allowed me to reflect on my own values more. I feel as if my values are more defined than they were before because living in a different culture has given me the opportunity to understand myself better. For example, I identify as a gay man and I feel as if my time here has allowed me to become more comfortable and secure in that identity.

How to accept self-discovery abroad:Jonathan trying a taste of the dish he made during a cooking class in Milan

1. Let yourself be in new and uncomfortable situations

• You’ll never be immersed in the culture/learn the language if you don’t allow yourself to be embarrassed or uncomfortable.

2. Take time to relax and slow down

• Soak in every moment!

3. Slow down, but also use the extra time abroad wisely

• Use this extra time to explore and learn and engage.

4. Fail with the language

• We learn quicker when we learn from our mistakes, the mistakes eventually work themselves out 🙂

5. Let yourself be comfortable being alone-it might surprise you

• Some of my favorite moments have been meeting new friends and people, but the moments alone have also been valuable.

The busy streets of Navigli market in MilanStudying abroad can be a life changing experience where you can understand yourself and those around you better. Doing this has given me more perspective but it wasn’t always easy. I had to seek uncomfortable and new situations so I could learn and be immersed. Study abroad-push yourself and engage, you won’t regret it!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.