ALL THE RIGHT MOVES

When I was growing up, my teachers were always the ones that I looked up to the most. They always seemed to know everything, and they were always ready and available to answer any question that I might pose. Even now that I’m an adult, I still look to my teachers with the same kind of admiration. It’s probably because of that personal admiration that I wanted to take this class. I wanted to be able to be of use to some kids who might need me. I’m much wiser now than I was as a kid, so I felt that I had something to offer them. And it has been a wild ride so far.

Over the course of this class so far, I’ve had the pleasure of working alongside several very talented students, more talented then they may even realize. The potential that these kids have is truly magnificent to see. If I can help any of them realize that potential through subtle nods in the right direction, it would be worth the time. The kids are really eager to learn and genuinely look up to us. I remember when I was walking into the school one day before the club started and one our students came up to me and gave me a high five saying “this guy’s my mentor!”. It’s the little moments like that that keep me coming back every week.

Being a teacher isn’t as easy as I thought it would be, as working with kids never is. But we’re really giving back to the community in a way that only we can, and that’s something we can all be proud of.

Gavin Pehler is a senior English major.