Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Coraline: The Graphic Novel is definitely a reading experience unlike any others I’ve had. The story of the bored little girl who finds a mysterious door that leads to an alternate world of people with buttons for eyes was a little far out there for me to fully enjoy. I felt that this book could be summarized as a creepier version of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. I have never read the actual book, so I did not know the story before I read this version, but the graphic novel jumps around a lot. I felt that the motivations behind many of the characters’ actions (including Coraline herself) were unexplained and random, so it made it hard for me to completely comprehend the story. Usually in fantasy stories like this, the reason for the strange experiences of the protagonist is explained at the end, but I still do not understand why the alternate reality existed. I guess plenty of people like this story since it was made into a movie, but I’m willing to bet that the book is better than the graphic novel.