Categories
Uncategorized

Going to a Chinese restaurant in D.C.

While considering options to blog about I ended up running across one from the past that I think would be rather fun to do so. I feel as if today in America for the most part when people think about Chinese food we have a very poor idea on what it really is. Maybe it’s Panda Express, or maybe it’s some other random restaurant that is near your house the serves a questionable chicken that couldn’t possibly be just chicken breast doused in whatever sauce that you asked for.

While in Washington D.C. my uncle asked me what kind of food I would like, and I told him to pick his favorite spot. He said there’s a Chinese restaurant he loves, and that it was actually something that their Culture would serve each other. Not food just catered toward Americans. When we went very little English was spoken, but we made it clear that we wanted culturally rich food. They then gave us whatever they felt we’d like, and let me tell you what. Every ingredient was the best, most fresh ingredients I’ve probably ever had. The chicken fell apart in my mouth, the beef was clearly smoked to perfection. And it was still to the day some of the best food I’d ever had. The noodles and rice were all perfectly cooked and seasoned. Everything complemented everything on the plate that I had.

To this day I haven’t been able to find a restaurant that has competed with the level of food that I had. I obviously still can’t compare this to food straight out of China, but it’s the best by far that I’ve found in America. I encourage everyone to try and find a restaurant like this, and eat the most culturally rich food you can find.

One reply on “Going to a Chinese restaurant in D.C.”

Sounds amazing! Have you ever been to Asian Snack in the Saraga International Grocery near 38th Street and Lafayette? It may or may not compare, but as far as authentic local Chinese food it is the best my family and I have had. It doesn’t look like much – just a little place inside the supermarket – but they make good dumplings, noodles, soups, spicy fish, and many other things.