Categories
Uncategorized

China Uses Ducks to Combat Locusts

After a more negative news article earlier this week, I wanted to look for a more positive portrayal of China. I was surprised to come across a story like this, but I found it extremely intriguing. China will be sending ducks to combat the locust problem in Pakistan. One Chinese researcher suggests ducks can eat more than 200 locusts each day and can be more effective than pesticides. The Chinese government is sending targeted programs to Pakistan to help with the millions of locusts there. China has also been using ducks to manage locusts within China since 2000. I thought this was a testament to China and their willingness to help other countries in need. Also in a world where we are focused on new scientific inventions to solve problems, sometimes the simple solution really is the answer. This story shows China’s innovation and how returning to the old way of doing things can be successful. We are so used to seeing the coronavirus in the news and all of the devastation surrounding it that it is uplifting to see China is still working on other programs to help the rest of the world even as they are suffering themselves.