Categories
Uncategorized

Coronavirus Impact on Religion

With coronavirus changing our lives over the past few weeks, the amount of social distancing has increased dramatically. With people being told they shouldn’t leave their homes unless for highly important needs, I was thinking about how isolation can impact people mentally and emotionally. But then a new thought came to mind: is religion going to help these isolated people get through these rough times.

From my local area in Kentucky, we shut down Churches roughly a week ago. People haven’t been able to go to mass or their respective church during this time, but that doesn’t prevent them from working on their faith. Churches have been publishing videos online for people to practice their religion even when unable to visit them. My friends and family here in Kentucky have been praying for because they don’t want to get lost in the fear of isolation. Praying is also a good method to relax the mind when dealing with this “new” society we have to live in. Obviously I wouldn’t want this outbreak to have happened, but there is some good that has come out of it. People can pray and be around loved ones during this time of uncertainty.

In terms of an Islamic sense, Saudi Arabia hasn’t been doing too well with this pandemic. The mosques in Mecca and Medina have been shut down from the public during this time. Muslims aren’t allowed to visit the Kaaba, which is very sacred in their religion. From volunteering at the Islamic Sunday school in Indianapolis, I know that prayer is an essential part of their culture. If Mecca is still closed to the public, then those Muslims wouldn’t be able to complete the five pillars of Islam. This virus has greatly influenced their religion, but they can still practice their faith. I’m just curious about the washing of the face portion in their prayer. Since people should avoid contact with others and avoid touching of the face, I wonder how many people still wash their face with their hands. Religion and prayer are an important time in our lives because in isolation, all we can do is hope and pray for the best outcome possible.