Categories
Uncategorized

Salah and the Haji

This post is about the readings from “How to Perform Salah” and the “Haji” articles.

Prior to my first ICR service day, I was invited to a Salah service at the Nur-Allah center to meet the people I would be helping. Coming from a Catholic background growing up, I was interested in seeing how different an Isalmic prayer would be then a general Catholic mass service. I got to participate as much as I could, until the fellow Muslims started speaking Arabic, which then I was told to watch from the back because only people who can speak Arabic can complete the Salah. I didn’t realize how important the Quran is when praying because during a Catholic mass, it’s not mandatory to remember scripture. During the Salah, everyone must recite the beginning chapter of the Quran and any other chapter to complete the Salah. From watching the Salah take place, I was confused as to why everyone was standing up, then sitting down, then standing back up, and this endless cycle never stopped until the end. From the article, I learned that after reciting the Quran, everyone bows in a position called the Rukoo, then stands up saying an Arabic phrase which means “Allah hears those who praise Him”, and then prostrate on the floor saying “Allahu Akbar.” I didn’t realize it when in person, but according to the article, there can be four Salah prayers during one service. Eventually once the last Salah had ended, everyone got up and gave peace and mercy to everyone. It was really interested because I’ve never be a part of a different religious ceremony outside of my religion before. It was also interested to see that all the men pray on one side of the room, while all the women pray on the exact opposite side of the room. Wudu was a term I learned from Sister Carol at the Nur-Allah center when I asked her what does wiping the face with the hands represent. She said that if symbolizes cleansing the face and body to have a clean body and soul before praying.

The next article talks about the steps to complete the last of the five pillars. On the first day, Muslims enter Ihram, which is a pilgrim’s sacred state when crossing the boundaries of Mecca. Once in Mecca, they travel to Mina, which is about a 5 mile journey. Once there, the Muslims spend time praying and focusing on Allah. On the second day, they leave Mina and head towards Arafat. Arafat is where Muhammad’s last sermon took place and is about 9 miles from Mina. This is a special day of the Islamic calendar and many Muslims choose to fast on this day. After sunset, the Muslims travel to Muzdalifah to collect pebbles for the next day’s events. They leave this place just before sunrise. On the third day, this is considered the longest and most dangerous day of the five day pilgrimage. Once they returned to Mina, they throw seven pebbles at the largest of the three columns known as the Jamart, which ritual is called the first rami. This event symbolizes the stoning of the devil. After throwing the pebbles, the Muslims must perform a sacrifice similar to the one that Abraham did when sacrificing his son. The pilgrims sacrifice some animal, usually a sheep, goat, or cow. The men will then shave their hair and remove their ihram clothes. Many will end the day by circling the Kaaba seven times and finish by walking seven times between the hills of Safa and Marwa. The last two days deal with the pilgrims still throwing the pebbles, but this time at all three of the pillars. They spend the next two days in Mina and finish the pilgrimage by returning to Mecca and perform the final circulation of the Kaaba. After reading this article, I didn’t know how much energy is taken into this pilgrimage. They travel to many places over a five day period and pray to Allah most of that time. This is definitely more sacred than anything I’ve ever done as a Catholic. I can see why this is the last pillar and why it only has to be completed once.