Categories
Uncategorized

Sufism and Rumi

This blog is about the Sufism and Rumi articles, along with my favorite Rumi poem given to me.

Here’s why I learned from the Sufism article: Sufism’s practices include the maintenance and visitation to shrines and tombs of deceased saints, Islamic endowments, or waqfs, buildings intended for Sufi practice, and the passing on of the traditions. Sufism, to the Sunni and Shi’I, refers to the inner mystical dimension of Islam. Sufis believe that the universe forms a unified whole, which is bounded by love. Rumi was a pious Muslim during the 13th century. Rumi is well known for his mystical literature contributions towards Sufism. There is some counter-cultural aspect of Sufism were Sufi mystics lived on the outside of society and rejected petty cultural norms. Sufism has always been an integral part of mainstream Islam. Sufism should be practiced in regards to inner life and within the outward prescriptions for living life in compliance with God’s will. For many Muslims, Sufism allows them to have some type of spiritual enlightenment. Over time, Sufism has been incorporated into other religions within Islam, allowing Sufism to be more flexible towards other Islamic religions.

I really enjoyed this article because I have never heard of Sufism before and was glad to learn something new. I respect the main teaching that Sufis believe in where they think that the universe forms a unified whole, which is bounded by love. I didn’t know that Sufism became blended with other Islam religions over time and thought that was interesting because usually society has many religions for distinction and not for them to have some type of overlap.

Rumi Article: Rumi was a 13th century mystic poet who circumnavigated the Middle East and helped spread Sufism. Once in Middle East, he became one of the most beloved religious figures in the realm. His reputation and appeal, both across time and in his own, lay in some elusive layering of acute religious knowledge, personal charm and wit, and a capacious spirit that was both deeply human and haloed with otherworldly prescience. Eventually, Shamsuddin of Tabriz showed up and changed Rumi’s approach to religious devotion. Shams was kicked out of Konya by Rumi’s devotees, but Rumi went searching for him. That search became internal when Rumi infused the teachings of Shams’ masaterwork called the “Masnavi” with his spiritual teachings. Rumi preached and lived by a stance of tolerance. He stated that all religions were in pursuit of oneness with God. This didn’t mean that he thought Islam was mixed together with all other monotheistic religions though.

I didn’t mind this article. I respect what Rumi did for the spread of Sufism and didn’t understand how important he was to that religion. After reading some of his poems, I really respect his work because as someone who usually understands what they are reading, I appreciate the hidden meanings behind his poems.

Poem of Rumi: When your love reaches the core, earth-heavals and bright irruptions spew in the air. The universe becomes one spiritual thing, that simple, love mixing with spirit.

I really enjoy this poem because it explains the main theme of Sufism by showing that the universe forms a unified whole, which is bounded by love. People in society are brought together because they want to build relationships, which are created by sharing a type of love towards one another. When people love one another, good things typically happen. The world around us becomes one since there is no anger towards one another. This poem shows the importance it is for one to have love in their life to make life easier and better for the people around us in my opinion.