Categories
Uncategorized

Salah Revisted

Today I took a second look at the How to Perform Salah guide from earlier in the semester. I liked how it broke down what each process of prayer calls for. I think the most interesting part of this process is the fact that you have to make sure you are clean and in proper attire to pray. Males have to wear anything that covers from the nose to the knees and women must cover their whole body except for the face and hands. Christianity, a religion that may be more familiar to us in the United States of America, doesn’t normally require you to dress a certain way or follow a certain process to pray. Although many of my close relatives put on “church clothes” every Sunday to go to service I never really remember that being an absolute necessity for practicing the Christian religion. When you think about it, that concept from Islam makes a lot of sense. When you are preparing to pray it seems very symbolic for your body to be clean given that many people would view prayer as a spiritual cleansing. It seems like it would set you off on the right foot to be clean before you go to pray.