Giselle Varre: My Identity at Home and Abroad

Written by: Giselle Varre  |  Summer 2023
Communication in Ireland

If my time in Ireland has taught me Giselle posing in front of Cliffs of Moheranything about myself, my identity at home and abroad is similar, which is good. As a Black woman, I carry that identity with pride daily at home and on campus. I expected that identity to experience little change with my time abroad, but I did expect it to expand. I would always be that proud Black girl with a few new experiences and additional knowledge. I do also hold the identity of a nurturer in my daily life. I made it my mission to care for my friends and family, and that did not change while abroad. I was prepared to look after my peers during our time abroad and assist Professor Stevenson-Holmes if needed, and I did just that. I also met some fantastic people who held that same outlook, making my experience much more fruitful.

Even when I travel in America, I prepare myself for my identity to be challenged racially or intellectually. So this hypothetical is something that I have to keep in the back of my mind so it won’t be a crippling surprise when it does happen. I did not experience any racial issues in Ireland. Still, my peers and I did make sure to read reviews before going to restaurants and pubs and did discover some bad reviews regarding race. I expected this experience abroad to help me grow as a woman of color. In addition, studying abroad was the first step in building an international network of my peers. Being abroad also helped me leave my comfort zone and navigate unfamiliar situations.

Giselle and friends posing outside Irish Castle

As people of color, we are commonly brought together by our cultures and struggles. To my surprise, I found both of these things in Ireland. Ireland has a history of struggle, from war against the British to inner conflict with British loyalists. They also have their own culture, like food, dance, and lore preceding Anglo domination. Expanding my knowledge of a European country that isn’t precisely Eurocentered was fascinating. I am also grateful that I was able to develop my Butler identity on this trip.

My peers and I often discussed the social gap that we call “the Butler bubble” on our trip. The “bubble” is commonly referred to as a colonial mindset that prevents students from experiencing other activities and groups within and outside of Butler University. We all confessed that we didn’t think we would have been friends without this experience. Most of my peers in Ireland are a part of Greek Life back at school, which I have perceived as a separate entity from the entire student body. This experience has motivated me to not only expand my horizons abroad but to expand them back at school as well.

To my surprise, the location that offered Giselle and friends seated at Irish pubme the opportunity to reflect on my identity the most and meet other people were the pubs! We would break into smaller groups and go to the pubs almost every night after our group activities. Pub culture is influential in Ireland. We could enjoy live music, talk to new people, and have the opportunity to get to know each other better. Even if you aren’t a drinker, the pubs are for you. I felt most comfortable and at ease in this setting, but I also had to give some of that credit to the fantastic group of friends I made.

My biggest lesson from studying abroad with Butler was that I can sometimes let myself get in the way; I need to allow myself to be more outgoing back at home. I don’t want a world-shifting experience to motivate me to talk to people and not overthink things about approaching people outside my circle. I’ve missed so much at home by thinking about what was and was not okay, but I didn’t hold back in Ireland. Instead, I said yes to every positive experience and allowed myself to let go. I learned so much about myself and Ireland in 10 days and couldn’t be more grateful.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.