Uncharted Territory

Written by: Ilanah Mangan |  Fall 2022
IFSA Rome

Ilanah with friends overlooking Lake Como

Going abroad was something I have wanted to do since I was a little girl. I’ve always had a fascination with traveling and experiencing the world outside of the bubble of the United States. Yet, when I came to college, I still did not have the resources to do so, and it left me only wanting to pursue it more. When I found out about studying abroad, I knew this was something I absolutely had to do. By the time my junior year came, by second semester I gathered up the courage to finally apply and was accepted to my program. Next thing I knew I was making packing lists and saying goodbye to my family and friends and I was heading to Rome! However, a few weeks before I left it hit me: I have never left the United States and I did not speak a word of Italian. This was something swirling in my mind up until the moment I left on the plane. I thought to myself “is it the best idea for my first time abroad to be 3 months long and to a place with a foreign language I have no conception of?” The short answer: absolutely. Although I stepped of the plane slightly frightened and hoping I did not make a mistake, I look back knowing I have only two weeks left in Italy and wouldn’t trade this experience for the world.  

Delicious-looking Croissant and CoffeeI think it is important to acknowledge that a lot of students consider studying abroad but do not have a lot of travel experience and fear this might be too overwhelming for a first experience. I’m here to provide the solace that it will absolutely be ok, and more than that, it will be one of the best experiences of your life. For those fearing the language barrier as well, trust me I understand. My first-time speaking Italian to a server at a café I was petrified and completely stumbled over my words. The words that came out were some kind of concoction of English, Italian and I’m pretty sure Spanish mixed in there. Little did I know 3 months later I became a regular at that café and had conversations in Italian with that same server, who now greets me warmly and knows my order by heart.  

Fear is a powerful force that is capable of convincing us of many untrue things. I am here to say conquer those fears and take the chance to see the world. I am nearly 3 months into my journey and as much as I love my home, I know the day I leave my friends here in Rome and all the memories I’ve made behind, many tears will be shed. Then again, I know many more memories are to come. I am planning on seeing these same friends in the summer to continue our travels through Europe after graduation. Leaving your home to come to a completely foreign place is no doubt a source of anxiety and puts many doubts in your head. However, what you put into this experience is what you will get out of it. Take the chance, meet new people, push yourself out of your comfort zone. Try to learn the language, mess up, try again, and keep going. If you put in the effort, I promise the return will be tenfold.

Ilanah and friend posing for picture while looking at the lit up Eiffel Tower at night

Studying abroad has changed my life and perspective in many ways. I found myself much more independent, strong, curious, and ambitious than ever before. I went from never leaving the United States in 21 years, to 3 months after studying abroad having visited 4 new countries, and 25 total cities. Leaving everything behind may feel like completely uncharted territory, and it is. But that does not mean it is something you should never explore. Broadening your horizons and seeing the world beyond our home and college towns is something truly extraordinary. Being immersed in a culture for months at a time allows you the time to travel and see the world in a way that is different from anything else you may experience in your life. If ever in doubt, trust your heart and your passions. You never know what lies waiting for you on the other side of the world.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.