AIA Lecture at IUPUI

“The Frome Hoard and the Breakaway British Empire (AD 286-296)” will be presented by Dr. Sam Moorhead on Wednesday April 25th at 8:00PM in Campus Center Theater (CE) room 002 at the Indiana University – Purdue University (IUPUI) Indianapolis Campus.

The Frome Hoard of 52,503 Roman coins, found in April 2010, is the largest cache of Roman coins ever found in Britain in a single pot. The discovery enables us to carry out a major appraisal of Carausius (AD 286-93), Britain’s ‘forgotten emperor’, who is represented by over 850 coins (the largest surviving group of Carausian coins from a single hoard). Frome Hoard display the original and striking propaganda used by Carausius to bolster his regime.

Sponsored by the Central Indiana Chapter of the Archaeological Institute of America.

Free parking will be available in the Vermont Street Garage.

Author: Wendy Vencel

I am a senior at Butler University majoring in History and Classics, minoring in Anthropology. I am currently an intern with the Ancient Mediterranean Cultures and Archaeology (AMCA) Mobile Lab at Butler. I have been able to study abroad twice with the Classics Department, first to Italy in Summer 2016 and then to Greece in Summer 2017. I am originally from Bloomington, IN and plan to attend a post graduate program in the UK upon my graduation from Butler. My greatest accomplishment as a lab intern was working on the osteological collection held by the lab.