Student Work Highlight: “That’s Just a Myth: A Look at Classical Mythology in Toni Morrison’s Paradise” by Kailey Steward

At Butler University’s Classics Club April meeting, Classics minor Kailey Steward will be presenting her paper “That’s Just a Myth: A Look at Classical Mythology in Toni Morrison’s Paradise”. 

Here is a brief summary of the paper in Kailey’s words:

In this essay I discuss the character of Connie, one of the major figures in Toni Morrison’s novel Paradise, and examine her relationship to the goddess Persephone. I first look at outside scholarship regarding Persephone and her place in Morrison’s works, as well as in other modern literature. Following this I take an in-depth look at Connie herself and compare and contrast her to the goddess. Through these similarities and differences I argue that Morrison aims to use Connie to show her struggles as representative of a larger group of women, oppressed and seeking freedom in a patriarchal world. The essay closely examines Connie’s circumstances and character, as well as diving into ancient myth.

For those interested, April’s meeting will be held on April 3rd at 7:00pm in Jordan Hall 201 on Butler University’s campus.

Author: Wendy Vencel

I am a senior at Butler University majoring in History and Classics, minoring in Anthropology. I am currently an intern with the Ancient Mediterranean Cultures and Archaeology (AMCA) Mobile Lab at Butler. I have been able to study abroad twice with the Classics Department, first to Italy in Summer 2016 and then to Greece in Summer 2017. I am originally from Bloomington, IN and plan to attend a post graduate program in the UK upon my graduation from Butler. My greatest accomplishment as a lab intern was working on the osteological collection held by the lab.