Call for submissions: The Art of Irwin Library – Celebrating 50 Years! A Juried Art Contest and Exhibit
The 50th Anniversary Celebration Committee of Butler’s Irwin Library seeks entries for a juried art contest and exhibit. Selected art works will be on exhibit in Irwin Library from Jan. 15 through approximately March 15, 2014.
Exhibit theme: Works relating to Irwin Library, experiences in the Irwin Library, or relating to library resources (including books, computers, magazines, etc.) or using such materials to create a work of art. For example, using discarded books to create a piece of furniture.
Medium: Two- and three-dimensional art, including altered books. Painting, drawing, and sculpture will be accepted. (Please no photography, as our previous contest was for photos only!)
Monetary prizes will be awarded to the top student entries:
1st place – $100
2nd place – $50
3rd place – $25
Judge’s choice award – $50
Participation in the exhibit is open to all current students, staff, and faculty of Butler University.
- Only student entries will be considered for cash prizes.
Number of submissions per entrant: No more than three entries per participant.
Sara Method (Associate Faculty, Herron School of Art and Design),
Mark Ruschman (Chief Fine Arts Curator, Indiana State Museum),
Stephanie Robertson (Program Chair, Fine Arts, IVY Tech Community College).
Exhibition location: Irwin Library, Main Floor.
- All submissions must be original and created within the last two years (i.e., on or after September 1, 2011).
- Works may be two- or three-dimensional in format. Two-dimensional works should not exceed 18” X 24” in size. Three-dimensional works should fit within a space of four square feet.
- Two-dimensional submissions must be mounted and/or framed and ready to hang.
- Students must present their own work for consideration.
- Submitted works should be accompanied by a label containing the artist’s name, title of the work, medium, and date work was completed.
- A signed release form must accompany each submitted work. Please contact Sheri Stormes (see below) to request a form. This form will authorize the Butler Libraries and Butler University to use the work for purposes of public display and print and digital publication.
- Works should be delivered to Sheri Stormes at Irwin Library (Room 119B).
- Artists may retrieve their works after the close of the exhibit.
Submission deadline: 3 p.m., Friday, Dec. 20.
For more info: Sheridan Stormes, 317 940-9218; firstname.lastname@example.org