Peer Advocate Post: Sustainability and Volunteering Abroad Session

Written by: Peer Advocate Clare Werner

Before the Sustainability and Volunteering Abroad session, I knew little about sustainability as it was not a focus of my study abroad experience. Christine, Arielle, and Hannah made it clear that sustainability is something that is all encompassing and something that everyone can take part in. Sustainability can be part of classroom learning in a study abroad program, but it can also be a central component of volunteer efforts and excursions while studying abroad. I was also surprised to learn how influential their study abroad experiences were for them. Each of them walked away with memories for life and each of them returned home with a more global perspective on sustainability as well as a deeper appreciation for other cultures. They came back with renewed excitement that led to the desire to get more involved and volunteer in the Indianapolis area, or to change their courses to accommodate new-found passions. I think this zoom session captures the impact study abroad has on strengthening what is learned in the classroom as well as developing passions outside of school.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.