Applying Global Perspectives to Future Healthcare Careers

Written by: Sara Wilson  |  Summer 2022
History and Culture of the Mediterranean Diet and Healthcare Delivery in the United Kingdom: Lessons From the Past, Preparing for the Future

student in red phone boothI had the privilege of studying abroad this summer in London, England on the Healthcare Delivery in the United Kingdom program and in Florence, Italy on the History and Culture of the Mediterranean Diet program. By completing these two study abroad programs, I was able to gain six credit hours that go towards pharmacy school electives. Earning credit hours will help me immediately by having to take less hours down the road, but these experiences granted me so much more.

Studying abroad is all about gaining new perspectives and soaking in as much culture and knowledge you can. I went into this experience with an open mind and eager attitude, and yet, I still learned so much more than I thought I would. The biggest thing that I took away from these two trips was how much of an impact a global perspective can have on my future career. Since these trips are tailored towards students going into the healthcare field, a majority of our trip was learning about the healthcare and wellness in other countries. Being able to immerse myself in the healthcare of another country, I can now carry that knowledge and perspective with me for the rest of my life.

students with fresh pastaFor example, in London, we learned all about how the healthcare system works in England, so we were able to compare their system with how the United States’ system works. Now, I will be able to bring my knowledge with me to wherever I may end up in my future career and focus on the things that worked well in the United Kingdom and what already works well here in the United States. In Florence, we learned all about the Mediterranean Diet and healthy living. Not only will I be able to apply these healthy living habits to my own life, but also into my future patient’s lives as well. Not very many people have the opportunity to gain a global perspective for their future career, so it is a very appealing quality when searching for a future job.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.